Deadline: September 5, 2011
Ex Lab is inviting expressions of interest from visual arts, craft and media artists for 5 specific site responsive commissions plus a number of ‘open brief’ opportunities as part of the Ex Lab programme.
Exploratory Laboratory – Art, Science and the Coast
Exploratory Laboratory (Ex Lab) is offering artists a unique opportunity to work with scientists on the Jurassic Coast. As technology and science become ever more present in our lives, and as our relationship to and
understanding of landscape changes, so artworks reflect these concerns and hopes. Ex Lab aims to develop a mutual creation of meaning between science and the arts at a time of unparalleled change.
The commissions offer a supported research period, fee, production and installation costs to create new works for installation at an outdoor coastal location and/ or exhibition in a gallery or non art space during July – September 2012. We are expecting the final outcomes to arise out of the artists collaboration with earth scientists, the location and where appropriate, the partnerships around each commission. Artists may apply for more than one commission.
Ex Lab is looking to commission work that:
• Is responsive to its location, the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site and the overall theme
• Has a tangible visual outcome
• Is informed by a dialogue between artist and earth science
• Connects and communicates with the public
Ex Lab is looking for artists who:
• Have an interest in geology, geomorphology, landscape and environment
• Show a genuine interest in the arts and science collaboration
• Demonstrate a high quality practice in methodology and production
• Are able to communicate well with the public about or through their work